Prepare the Way | Part Two | What Should We do?| Luke 3:7-14
What is your favorite way to prepare for Christmas?
Father, by Your Spirit, would you guide us into all truth. Help us to hear and be attentive to Your voice as we work through this study. In the name of Jesus, Your Son, we pray, Amen.
- What stood out to you in the sermon?
- What insights did you gain?
- What questions did it raise?
Luke 3:7-9 | Bear fruit in keeping with repentance
- What stands out to most from John’s message?
- Why do you think John has such a harsh message?
- How would you rephrase John’s message in your own words?
Luke 3:10-14 | What should we do?
- Look at each of the examples John gives. How would you translate each of those into modern life today? Which of these examples is the most challenging to you? Why?
- Think about what John doesn’t say (examples: give away all your money for the poor, stop being a tax collector, give up being a soldier or resist the Roman authorities). Why do you think John gives such simple and obvious ways to demonstrate our repentance?
Sins of Commission; Sins of Omission
- Sins of commission are those sins we commit with our actions; sins of omission are those sins we commit with our inaction.
- When you think of sin, do you normally think of it as sins of commission or omission? Why?
- What are some ways John the Baptist message helps us get ready for the Messiah today?