Why the World Is the Way It Is The Image of God | Genesis 1
Are there ways you see yourself acting like your family of origin or saying things your parents used to say?
OR (if you have kids) What are some ways you see your kids acting like you?
Father, by Your Spirit, would you guide us into all truth. Help us to hear and be attentive to Your voice as we work through this study. In the name of Jesus, Your Son, we pray, Amen.
- What stood out to you in the sermon?
- What insights did you gain?
- What questions did it raise?
Read Genesis 1:26-31
The Image and Likeness of God.
- Three common ideas on what the image of God means: spirituality, morality, dignity. Which of these resonate the most with you? Are any of these new ideas for what it means to be made in the image of God? Have you heard of any other ideas?
- Male and Female. Why do you think the Bible specifically mentions both genders as bearing the image of God?
- Everyone bears the image of God. When are some times that you find it important to remember this truth?
- Sin has warped how we express the image of God today. Using the three ideas of the image of God (spirituality, morality, dignity), how do you see our pursuit of these specific things changed because of sin? (i.e. how does sin change how we pursue spirituality/meaning?)
Ruling. Subduing. Filling.
- The purpose of the image of God is to rule, subdue, and fill. How could you see these words be misused and misunderstood?
- God is our model on how to rule, subdue, and fill. Using God as our model, how would you describe what it means to live into these words? How does God’s way differ from what you see in our culture?
- If we reflect God in the world by tending to others, what are some specific times you find this especially challenging?