Discussion Guide | Why? | Gen 3, Part 4 | The Root of the Problem
What is a mistake you have made recently? How did it affect other people?
Father, by Your Spirit, would you guide us into all truth. Help us to hear and be attentive to Your voice as we work through this study. In the name of Jesus, Your Son, we pray, Amen.
- What stood out to you in the sermon?
- What insights did you gain?
- What questions did it raise?
Read Genesis 3
Genesis 3:5 “For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
- The real temptation is to be like God, or to be independent from God. How do you see this temptation playing out in the world today?
- Why would we want to be independent from God?
- Why do you think Adam and Eve found this temptation attractive?
Read Romans 3:10-18, 23
- What is your reaction to these verses?
- How would you see American culture reacting to these verses?
- Why do you think American culture doesn’t talk about sin?
1 Timothy 1:15 “Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.”
- How else would you say this?
- It’s easy to see sin in others, and harder to see it ourselves. Why is it important to see the sin in our own life? What are some of the things that happen when we don’t see our own sin?
- How does human fallenness help us understand the world around us?