Discussion Guide | Fruit of the Spirit | Gentleness
What is one way you’ve seen God at work in your life this week?
Father, by Your Spirit, would you guide us into all truth. Help us to hear and be attentive to Your voice as we work through this study. In the name of Jesus, Your Son, we pray, Amen.
- What stood out to you in the sermon?
- What insights did you gain?
- What questions did it raise?
The fruit of the Spirit is gentleness.
- What does gentleness mean to you?
- Some other ways to translate this word would be “humility,” “meekness,” “humbleness.” The Greek word literally means “not being overly impressed with yourself (Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament). Name some ways in the Bible you see Jesus demonstrate this virtue.
- The way of the world is “selfish ambition” and “vain conceit.” How does an elevation of self lead us away from the fruit of the Spirit of gentleness (or meekness, humility, “not being overly impressed with yourself”)?
Reflect on the 5 Characteristics of the Chronically Anxious (Edwin Friedman)
- Highly Reactive – We react to the people around us (i.e. triggering).
- Herding Mentality – We create factions to support our anxiety (i.e. echo chambers).
- Blame Displacement – We cast ourselves as victims.
- Quick-Fixes – We cover up our anxiety without addressing it (i.e. self-medicate)
- Failure of Nerve in Leadership – We are unable to lead through the anxiety, so we give up and allow the dysfunction to continue.
- How do you see these 5 characteristics at work in the world around you?
- Do you see any of these characteristics in your own life?
- How does a focus on “self” contribute to these 5 characteristics?
- How would you describe the mindset of Jesus in your own words?
- Why do you think Jesus didn’t come as a warlord, a Cesaar, or a tycoon?
- What impact would living the mindset have on the self-centered dysfunction (as reflected in the 5 Characteristics of Chronically Anxious) that surrounds us?
- What are some practical ways you could live the way of gentleness in the midst of selfish dysfunction?