Give Thanks | Week 1
What is one way you have seen God at work in your life this last week?
Father, by Your Spirit, would you guide us into all truth. Help us to hear and be attentive to Your voice as we work through this study. In the name of Jesus, Your Son, we pray, Amen.
- What stood out to you in the sermon?
- What insights did you gain?
- What questions did it raise?
- What is your response to thinking of giving thanks as a biblical command?
Henri Nouwen (The Return of the Prodigal Son):
Gratitude as a discipline involves a conscious choice. I can choose to be grateful even when my emotions and feelings are steep and hurt and resentful. It is amazing how many occasions present themselves in which I can choose gratitude instead of a complaint. I can choose to be grateful when I am criticized, even when my heart responds in bitterness… I can choose to listen to the voices that forgive and to look at the faces that smile, even while I still hear words of revenge and see grimaces of hatred.
- What do you think about Henri Nouwen’s quote?
- Why would treating giving thanks as a spiritual discipline be important?
- What are some ways you have seen God searching for you and leading you?
- Jesus teaches us to see God’s goodness around us. What are some things that tend to get in your way of seeing the goodness of God in your life?
- In your experience, how is seeing God as good connected to not worrying?
Count Your Blessings
When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.
Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, ev’ry doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.
Verse 3 When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
Count your many blessings, money cannot buy
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.
Verse 4 So, amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged, God is over all;
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end
- Which of these verses speaks the most to you? Why?
- Why is “counting your blessings” important to developing gratitude?
- What is a practical way you could “count your blessings” this week?