Part 3 | The Cross-Shaped Life | Philemon 17-25
Who do you know who excels at being a peacemaker? What makes them able to bring peace? What do you think motivates them to work for peace?
- What stood out to you in the sermon? What insights did you gain? What questions did it raise?
- How do you see Schweitzer as being Christ-Centered?
Philemon 17 So if you consider me a partner, welcome him as you would welcome me.
- How do you think Philemon would have felt with this instruction?
- When is a time someone has treated you with respect and honor even though they were angry with you?
Philemon 18 -19 If he has done you any wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me. I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand. I will pay it back—not to mention that you owe me your very self.
- The pattern of Jesus is to give of ourselves for the sake of someone else. Who has modeled this Jesus-kind-of-life for you? How do you think they were able to live in the pattern of Jesus?
- How does the pattern of Jesus challenge our natural self-centeredness?
- What are some ways that God may be calling you to give of yourself for the sake of others?
Read Phillippians 2:1-11
- What is most challenging to you?
- What are some things you can do to grow into the “mindset of Christ Jesus”?
One Another. Read these examples of the 95 times we are told to care for one another.
Mark 9:50- be at peace with one another.
Romans 12:10 – Be devoted to one another in love
Romans 12:10- Honor one another above yourselves
Galatians 5:13 serve one another in love
Galatians 6:2 carry one another’s burdens
Ephesians 4:32 be kind and compassionate to one another
Colossians 3:13 bear with one another
1 Thessalonians 4:18, Encourage one another
1 Thessalonians 5:11 – build one another up
James 5:9 – Don’t grumble against one another
James 5:16 confess your sins to one another
James 5:16 Pray for one another
John 13:34 love one another
- Which of these “one anothers” is the most challenging to you? Why?
- Why do you think the Bible is so insistent on how we care for one another?
- What are some ways God is calling you to care/build/love/encourage/etc others in our church family? Be specific.
Pray that our church family would live in the pattern of Jesus’ sacrificial love.