Sermon Discussion Questions – 28 November 2021
Part 1| Tidings of Joy| Luke 5.17-26
Gathering Question: What did you take away from your Thanksgiving celebration(s) that leads into anticipating Christmas?
Gathering Prayer: Merciful God, you set your messenger the prophets to preach repentance and prepare the way for your salvation. Give us grace to heed their warnings and forsake our sins, that we may celebrate aright the commemoration of the nativity, and may await with joy the coming in glory of Jesus Christ our Redeemer; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, One God, for ever and ever. Amen.
- What stood out to you in the sermon? What insights did you gain? What questions did it raise?
Read Luke 2.8-12 (The Angel’s announcement)
- The angel speak of great joy for all people. How does the announcement of Jesus’ presence with us touch all people today? Have you encountered people who have never heard of Jesus? In what way could Schweitzer be like an angelic voice to people who have yet to hear that a Savior has been born to us?
Read Luke 3.18-19
- This text comes from Isaiah 61. Jesus reads it in his home synagogue in Nazareth and he claims these attributes for himself as a job description. There are three major themes; Healing, Restoration, and being Welcomed. Which of these themes resonate with you at the moment, and why? How does the need for what Jesus talk about show up in your world?
Read Luke 5.17-26
- The Pharisees and religious scribes have a spirit of suspicion around Jesus. What are some of the way a spirit of suspicion rises in you? How does a spirit of suspicion keep you from experiencing the joy that the others in this scene know?
- If you were the homeowner of the place where the miracle took place, how do you think your roof would have been repaired?
- Jesus recognizes the faith of the 4 who carry their friend on the mat. Have you ever been in a place where you relied on the faith of others? What was that like? Who could you help today with your faith?
- Jesus is described as having the “Lord’s healing power.” How have you experienced Jesus’ healing power in your life? Have you sought his healing? If not, what has kept you from seeking the healing power of Jesus?
- If you were on the mat, what request would you make of your friends, or of Jesus? How do you need Jesus’ joy today?
- Stop here and pray for one another.
Benediction: Lord, now let your servant go in peace; your word has been fulfilled; our own eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the presence of all people, a light to reveal you to the nations, and the glory of your people Israel. “Song of Simeon”