Prepare the Way | Part Three | Baptism in the Holy Spirit| Luke 3:15-18
Father, by Your Spirit, would you guide us into all truth. Help us to hear and be attentive to Your voice as we work through this study. In the name of Jesus, Your Son, we pray, Amen.
- What stood out to you in the sermon?
- What insights did you gain?
- What questions did it raise?
- People are wondering if John is the Messiah because they are expecting a political Messiah. What are some ways you see people today having false expectations of the Messiah?
- Pay attention to the three times John speaks of fire. Why do you think he keeps using that metaphor?
- What does it mean to you for the Messiah to baptize in the Holy Spirit and fire?
“Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one-the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.” (CS Lewis, The Screwtape Letters)
- People in John’s day may miss Jessu because of false expectations. We may miss Jesus for far simpler reasons. What are some “small” things that you think distract people from Jesus today?
- Are there any specific “small” things that you’ve experienced that tend to distract you?
- What are some practical ways we can stay focused on Jesus in the midst of distractions?