Discussion Guide | Rest | PART 1 | Sabbath Is Holy| Gen 2:1-3
When you think of the Sabbath what comes to mind?
Father, by Your Spirit, would you guide us into all truth. Help us to hear and be attentive to Your voice as we work through this study. In the name of Jesus, Your Son, we pray, Amen.
- What stood out to you in the sermon?
- What insights did you gain?
- What questions did it raise?
- The Sabbath is holy. Every other day of creation is called ‘good.’ What does the word ‘holy” mean to you?
- If God is Sovereign over everything he has made, what is significant about God being Sovereign over time?
- What stands out to you about how Moses emphasizes time through this Psalm?
- Focus on verse 12. What kind of wisdom do we gain when we “number our days”? How would this practically impact how we live?
Obstacles to Growth Survey
“It may be the case that (1) Christians are assimilating to a culture of busyness, hurry and overload, which leads to (2) God becoming more marginalized in Christians’ lives, which leads to (3) deteriorating relationships with God, which leads to (4) Christians become even more vulnerable to adopting secular assumptions about how to live, which leads to (5) more conformity to a culture of busyness, hurry, and overload. And then the cycle begins again.”
- How do you see the secular culture of “busyness, hurry, and overload” expressed around you?
- How have you seen (or personally experienced) point 2 and 3 in the above quote?
- Corrie Ten Boom said, “If the devil can’t make you sin, he’ll make you busy.” What is your reaction to this? How have you experienced this? What can we do about this strategy of the devil?
Evaluating Our Relationship with Time
- How would you describe your relationship with time? (i.e. busy, distracted, wasted, ordered)
- How can keeping the Sabbath help us recover a better relationship with time?
- What are some things you do to keep the Sabbath? Or what are some things you would like to do to be more intentional about Sabbath keeping?