Discussion Guide | Why? | Gen 4, Part 5 | The Problem Spreads
Father, by Your Spirit, would you guide us into all truth. Help us to hear and be attentive to Your voice as we work through this study. In the name of Jesus, Your Son, we pray, Amen.
- What stood out to you in the sermon?
- What insights did you gain?
- What questions did it raise?
Read Genesis 4:1-7
- Put yourself in Cain’s shoes. How would jealousy lead to violence?
- Human nature is to dodge, deflect, or justify our own sin and wrongdoing. What is the result when we live like this? Can you think of an example?
- Followers of Jesus have always emphasized the need to confess our sin. What are some of the benefits of confession? How does confession rob sin of it’s power in our life?
Read Genesis 4:8-16
- The mark of Cain is often thought to be a mark of punishment, but it is really a mark of protection. How do you feel about God protecting the murderer from murder?
- What does the protection of Cain show us about the character of God?
Read Romans 5:8
- How would you say this verse in your own words?
- This verse is written by the Apostle Paul. How do you think Paul’s background as a violent man influenced his thinking on this verse?
- What are some practical ways this verse can help you trust God in your life today?