Discussion Guide | Come Follow Me | We Engage in Formation| Colossians 2:1-8
What is one of your most formative Christian experiences?
Father, by Your Spirit, would you guide us into all truth. Help us to hear and be attentive to Your voice as we work through this study. In the name of Jesus, Your Son, we pray, Amen.
- What stood out to you in the sermon?
- What insights did you gain?
- What questions did it raise?
Read Colossians 2:1-8
- What does it mean to you to be “rooted in Christ”?
- What are some “deceptive philosophies” that we face today? Why do you think we are susceptible to these deceptions?
Formation is Binary
- Notice the two options: rooted in Christ, or taken captive in deception. Can you name some other ways the Bible describes faithful living as an either/or (e.g. the wide road and narrow road)? What are some of these examples that stand out to you? Why?
- Why do you think the Bible consistently describes faithful living as a binary choice?
- Do you find it challenging or encouraging to think of faithful living as a binary choice?
Formation is continuing.
- Think of the metaphor of the house. How would you use this metaphor to describe your life with God these days?
- Why do some Christians get “stuck” at the front door?
- What are some practical steps you have taken to help “move into” in the house? What are the formational practices that have made the biggest difference in your life?