SERMON ON THE MOUNT | PART THREE
What is one way you have experienced God at work in your life this week?
Father, by Your Spirit, would you guide us into all truth. Help us to hear and be attentive to Your voice as we work through this study. In the name of Jesus, Your Son, we pray, Amen.
- What stood out to you in the sermon?
- What insights did you gain?
- What questions did it raise?
- How would you describe your relationship with the OT?
- What does it mean to you for Jesus to “fulfill” the Law and the Prophets?
Matthew 5:20, “ For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.”
- How do you define righteousness?
- How can our righteousness surpass the Pharisees and the teachers of the law?
- How do you understand the impotence of “the rules” for faithful Christian living?
Dallas Willard: “Jesus knew that we cannot keep the law by trying to keep the law. To succeed in keeping the law one must aim at something other and something more. One must aim to become the kind of person from whom the deeds of the law naturally flow. The apple tree naturally and easily produces apples because of its inner nature.” (The Divine Conspiracy)
- What stands out to you from this quote? Why?
- How do we become the kinds of people who naturally are obedient to God?
- What are some of the things that tend to stand in your way in becoming this kind of person?
- What is something you can do this week to grow more into this kind of person?