What is one way you have experienced God at work in your life this week?
Father, by Your Spirit, would you guide us into all truth. Help us to hear and be attentive to Your voice as we work through this study. In the name of Jesus, Your Son, we pray, Amen.
· What stood out to you in the sermon?
· What insights did you gain?
· What questions did it raise?
Read Matthew 5:21-26
· As you listen to Jesus move from the exterior act of murder into the disposition of the heart, how does this trouble you? Does it recall any conversations from this past week, or other places that trouble you?
· The Incarnation of Jesus, God taking on flesh, also means that humanity has been taken into God’s self. That when we look on another, we can see glimpses of Jesus. Where are some places in this past week where you have caught a glimpse of Jesus?
· Jesus recognizes that we have a challenge in our hearts – anger and conceit, he casts a vision for reconciliation. Where do you sense the Holy Spirit highlighting a place in your life where reconciliation needs to take place?
Kind Father, when we open our hearts to Jesus we discover that we have failed to love as we have been loved. We have counted ourselves better than others, yet you don’t condemn us. You call us to love as we have been loved, to repent, and seek reconciliation. Pour into our hearts of stone, the fire breathing love of the Holy Spirit – that we might behold You, love you in our sisters and brothers, and take up the work of reconciliation. If we lack faith, stir up faith in us. In Christ’s name. Amen.