What is one way you have experienced God at work in your life this week?
Father, by Your Spirit, would you guide us into all truth. Help us to hear and be attentive to Your voice as we work through this study. In the name of Jesus, Your Son, we pray, Amen.
- What stood out to you in the sermon?
- What insights did you gain?
- What questions did it raise?
Read Matthew 5:33-37
- What stands out in these verses?
- What is most challenging to you about these verses?
- Some Christians take Jesus’ admonition at face value and forego oaths altogether; others view Jesus’ speech as aiming at honesty and truthfulness and are open to using an oath/vow in the present. How have you worked through this question?
- The story of Jephthah (Judges 11) and his daughter is an extreme example of over speaking and a vow taking a person into a commitment that is heartbreaking. Have you experienced over speaking in such a way that you have been stung with disappointment? Would you like to share?
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer said, “the very existence of oaths is proof that that there is such a things as lies… The oath is a protector of the lie” (Cost of Discipleship). What is your take on Bonhoeffer’s thought?
Read James 4.11-16
- How does “If the Lord wants” help make our speaking plain? Does it produce more uncertainty than you would like?
- Have you ever practiced a day of silence? How did it go? Did it adjust how you use words?